[TriLUG] smbfs/cifs group-write problems in KDE apps

Warren Myers volcimaster at gmail.com
Thu May 4 10:05:52 EDT 2006

Sounds like an issue I had in the past - doesn't samba run as a different
user? Does it have to be added to the 'slingers' group?

Warren

On 5/4/06, Brian Henning <brian at strutmasters.com> wrote:

> Hi Gang,
>    I'm having a heck of a time overwriting mode-664 files across a SMB
> or CIFS connection.  Here's the scoop:
>
> Host:  FC3, running SMB/NMB (among other things)
> Client:  Debian Sarge with both smbfs and cifs kernel modules
>
> The file on the server is something like this:
> -rw-rw-r--  1 notme slingers 5928  May  4 8:44 afile.html
>
> It's owned by a user that isn't me, but its group ownership (slingers)
> is a group of which I'm a member.  From a shell on the server, I have no
> problems modifying the file as myself.  However..  From my SMB client,
> if I try to save a modification, or overwrite it in any way, first the
> server truncates the file to 0, then responds with "Permission Denied."
>   I've tried remounting with both smbfs and cifs, I've tried rebooting
> my client, I've tried restarting the SMB service on the server, all to
> no avail.
>
> And here's another little tidbit I just discovered:  It only seems to be
> a problem with GUI apps.  I can vi the files across smb till my heart's
> content..  It's just when using Konqueror to copy files around, or using
> Kate to edit, that I encounter these truncate-then-deny problems.
>
> Anyone else seen this?  Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks!
> ~Brian

http://warrenmyers.com
"God may not play dice with the universe, but something strange is going on
with the prime numbers." --Paul Erdős
"It's not possible. We are the type of people who have everything in our
favor going against us." --Ben Jarhvi, Short Circuit 2