[TriLUG] smbfs/cifs group-write problems in KDE apps

Brian Henning brian at strutmasters.com
Thu May 4 10:19:35 EDT 2006

Okidoke.  These problems just started, but I just remembered I did a
bunch of rhn updates lately too.  (I'll mention again, though, that from
a shell on my client, I can edit/modify files across the smb link..
It's just my KDE apps that foul up)  So here's my active smb.conf:

<snipped header comments>

[global]
         log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
         load printers = yes
         idmap gid = 16777216-33554431
         preserve case = yes
         domain master = no
         public = yes
         winbind use default domain = no
         template shell = /bin/false
         allow hosts = 192.168.1. 192.168.10. 127.
         wins support = yes
         unix extensions = no
         dns proxy = no
         netbios name = mail-serv
         server string = Mail-Serv File Shares
         printing = lprng
         idmap uid = 16777216-33554431
         workgroup = Strutmasters
         printcap name = /etc/printcap
         security = user
         short preserve case = yes
         max log size = 50
         domain logons = no

[homes]
         follow symlinks = yes
         browseable = no
         comment = Home Directories
         writable = yes
         create mode = 664
         directory mode = 775

[printers]
    comment = All Printers
    path = /var/spool/samba
    browseable = yes
# Set public = yes to allow user 'guest account' to print
    guest ok = yes
    writable = no
    printable = yes

[pdflabels]
         postscript = yes
         printable = yes
         print command = /usr/share/pdfconvert %s
         writeable = yes
         path = /tmp
         create mask = 0722
         comment = Prints to a PDF file on mail-serv
         public = yes

[pdfprinter]
         postscript = yes
         printable = yes
         print command = /usr/share/pdfprint %s
         writeable = yes
         path = /tmp
         create mask = 0722
         comment = Prints a PDF to mail-serv public
         public = yes

[CD_ROM]
    comment = CD ROM drive
    path = /mnt/cdrom
    public = yes
    writeable = no
    printable = no

Looks normal, but then I'm not an expert..

~B