[TriLUG] What you should know about next week's CACert talk at TriLUG.

Michael Tharp gxti at partiallystapled.com
Thu May 4 16:04:51 EDT 2006

Brian Henning wrote:
> Once one is Trusted by this means, is one then at liberty to apply
> one's certificate to any number of websites?  I'm still a little foggy
> on the particulars of certs in the first place.  How much of the Web
> of Trust scheme is tied to a person, and how much is tied to a
> particular site?
>
> Cheers,
> ~Brian
Assuring proves that you are who you claim to be as an individual. To
make certificates for web sites, you only need prove you own the domain
by receiving email on it (to
root/admin/webmaster/hostmaster/postmaster at yourdomain for example). The
Web of Trust has little to do with it, although assured users may have
more benefits in their server certificates than non-assured users.
Now to find my passport...