[TriLUG] My part in the elections next week

Kevin Otte nivex at nivex.net
Thu May 4 21:35:26 EDT 2006

On Thu, May 04, 2006 at 03:20:40PM -0400, Tanner Lovelace wrote:
> That said, then, I'll go ahead and suggest two more names
> for the election (with no idea if they'll consent to being nominated
> or not, so YMMV).

I know for a fact that at least one of your nominees is in digest mode, so
he will not recieve your message (and thus be unable to accept) before the
deadline.  This is why we ask that the nominees be approached prior to
posting on the list.

Also, let me beat you to your first argument (as made on IRC this
afternoon): while there is nothing in the bylaws arguing against the floor
nomination of a candidate at election time, and there is precedent of such
an occurrance, this really makes no sense.  With a month's worth of notice,
this is more than enough time to properly inquire the nominee's interest.
In addition, the ability to hand out printed ballots depends on an early
deadline.  I know it was all handwritten in the days of old, but we've
gotten a whole lot bigger since then.

Please don't take my preemptive remarks as an affront.  I am simply aiming
for efficiency :)

--
Kevin Otte, N8VNR
nivex at nivex.net
http://www.nivex.net/

-=-

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
-- George Santayana

"It seems no one reads Santayana anymore."
-- Cdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5