[TriLUG] My part in the elections next week

Kevin Otte nivex at nivex.net
Fri May 5 11:02:31 EDT 2006

On Fri, May 05, 2006 at 10:22:53AM -0400, Tanner Lovelace wrote:
> This deal about having ballots printed up beforehand is just
> hogwash.

Ask your local county election board if they think having ballots printed up
before hand is hogwash.  Heaven forbid we have a streamlined balloting
process that is fair to all.

> It doesn't matter if it makes sense or not.  There is precedent.  That's
> all that matters.

Well, I think you've pretty much summed up every governmental organization.

> As I said before, printed ballots is a red herring.  It doesn't matter if
> the ballots are printed or not.  In fact, they really don't need to have
> anything on them anyway. Just have people write the five people they want
> on the ballots and go from there.

As a former committe member, I would think you've been through the
difficulty of parsing ballots.  Sometimes you can't read what is written,
etc.  If we're going to split hairs, fine.  They are not TECHINCALLY
required, but we are trying to do our bit to make things as easy as
possible for ALL parties involved.  I'm sure if you'd like to write-in
someone (as is allowed in a government election), be my guest.

> Let me be the first to publicly say bullsh*t.  Your remarks are an affront
> to the democratic process.

OK, fine.  Let's document every last iota of proper procedure.  None of this
relying on tradition and old mailing list posts.  I move that the SC create
a document that fully outlines the voting procedure and it be amended to the
bylaws.  You want to be democratic, let's do this right.

--
Kevin Otte, N8VNR
nivex at nivex.net
http://www.nivex.net/

-=-

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
-- George Santayana

"It seems no one reads Santayana anymore."
-- Cdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5