[TriLUG] My part in the elections next week

Magnus stinkfart at gmail.com
Fri May 5 11:38:40 EDT 2006

On 5/5/06, Kevin Otte <nivex at nivex.net> wrote:

> Ask your local county election board if they think having ballots printed
> up
> before hand is hogwash.  Heaven forbid we have a streamlined balloting
> process that is fair to all.

The county election board is sticking to the laws that bind it.  If there is
going to be a change, that is going to require a change to the bylaws, and
should be done with the oversight of the general membership.

> Well, I think you've pretty much summed up every governmental
> organization.

This is not the government.  It's a 501(c)(3).  And if you violate the
bylaws and have an illegitimate election, the results are then illegitimate.

> As a former committe member, I would think you've been through the
> difficulty of parsing ballots.

As have I.  We didn't whine, we didn't work outside of the bylaws, we just
did what needed to be done within the bylaws.

I move that the SC create
> a document that fully outlines the voting procedure and it be amended to
> the
> bylaws.  You want to be democratic, let's do this right.

You cannot propose this now according to the articles of incorporation.

"Proposed actions to the Steering Committee, including ad hoc delegation of
authority consistent with these articles, must be confirmed at such meetings
or via email if a general meeting is more than ten days from commencing by a
simple majority vote."

We are less than 10 days from a general meeting.

Additionally:
"Bylaws and other organizational rules are proposed to members no more than
sixty days nor less than ten days before the meeting at which the bylaws are
considered. A bylaw may be approved by a simple majority vote of members
present."

If you want to propose a change, it will have to be addressed at the June
meeting by the incoming SC.