[TriLUG] bad superblock messages at boot

Jason jason at monsterjam.org
Sun Jun 4 22:29:50 EDT 2006

have a friend who got his box hacked with the suckit rootkit and he did a system restore with lonetar and when it boots,
he gets the dreaded
 It says "The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2 filesystem."

we have tried e2fscking the drive but to no avail, we have run the e2mkfs -n /dev/cciss/c0d0p5
command to get the backup superblock #s and tried all of them and it still wont work.. any last-ditch ideas to try to
rescue this partition?
this is on a redhat 8 box.. btw.

regards,
Jason