[TriLUG] tar help?

Barry Gaskins barry.gaskins at gmail.com
Tue Jun 13 17:45:59 EDT 2006

   It sounds like you need a lot of different books:
1. PERL is a whole subject in itself.  I have the O'Reilly Perl book (in a
nutshell I think) and I have been happy with it.
2. Not sure about this one.
3. Shell scripts might be covered at a basic level in a Linux book.  I have
the O'Reilly "Running Linux" book and it covers shell scripts and the
location(s) of a lot of the scripts used by linux.  The one I have is a bit
old but it is still useful in a lot of ways.  But there are entire books
written on shell scripts or even scripts for a particular shell.  There are
also entire books for the standard scripts and locations for each distro
that you might choose.
4. Not sure about this one.
5 I am sure there are books about this but they may depend on what kind of
server you want.  They also can become obsolete quickly as the new version
of a server comes out and the configs change.
6. PHP and MYSQL definately are entire books to themselves.
7. I have not run a mail server but I have seen books on the subject.
8. I like the "DNS and BIND" O'Reilly book.  There are a lot of others too.
This subject can get complicated.
9. The O'Reilly "Running Linux" book is good for a general understanding of
Linux.

    As you can tell I like the O'Reilly in a nutshell books on most topics.
They have and entire in a nutshell book for most of the subjects that you
list.  If you dont have a bunch of money to invest in books then all of the
information is also on the web too.

   Hope I have been helpful.

   - Barry Gaskins