[TriLUG] playing ogg sound files with firefox

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Sun Jun 25 12:00:45 EDT 2006

Some websites have pronounciation of words (eg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tycho_Brahe has Tycho's name
encoded in ogg). I can download the ogg file and play it
with alsaplayer. I should be able to click on the link and
instead have firefox (v1.5) open the file with alsaplayer.
In preferences/download at the bottom there is an option to
assocate file extensions with an executable. However when
you open the window, you can only change the executable for
already known file extensions. I can't find anywhere to add
".ogg" and a player for ogg files.

How do I play ogg files in firefox?

Thank Joe