[TriLUG] Feather Linux - USB installation instructions

Cristobal Palmer cristobalpalmer at gmail.com
Sun Jul 2 18:29:18 EDT 2006

I spent quite a while poking at live distros that would install to USB.

Things of note:

--The ones that I found that were easy to install and actually boot
used 2.4.x kernels, which did not see the SATA drives I was using. (I
see that featherlinux has a 2.4 kernel)

--Knoppix will install to USB, but you need a stick of at least 2GB to
use the installer that comes with it. There's a workaround, but I
didn't spend enough time trying it to give any valuable feedback on
it.

--Of the ones I tried, DSL-N was my favorite (
http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/dsl-n/ ). It installed on a 128MB stick
I had. The installation to USB was easy enough to do from within the
LiveCD (it was in the menu). Definitely easier than tinkering with
syslinux.

--If you try as a -zip and it fails, try again as a -hdd. Depends on
the bios, depends on the USB stick.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

-CMP

On 7/2/06, stan briggs <stan at stanbriggs.com> wrote:
> yo,
>
> i'm trying this on a 1G usb drive that i've got
> (http://featherlinux.berlios.de/usb-instructions.htm). does anyone know
> if this is a good usb distro or if this is even worthwhile?
>
> thanks,
> stan
>
> Stan B. Briggs
> +++++++++++++++++++
> www.oBoJ.org: openBBQ/openJAM is a celebration of food, music, and good
> times. Attendance is open to all who wish to enjoy some BBQ, accoustic
> live music, and the company of others in the spirit of the Open Source
> community while supporting an excellent public cause
> [www.FriendsOfDix.org].

Cristobal M. Palmer
UNC-CH SILS Student
TriLUG Vice Chair
cristobalpalmer at gmail.com
cmpalmer at ils.unc.edu
ils.unc.edu/~cmpalmer
"Television-free since 2003"

<tarheelcoxn> iank has trouble with English. his native language is Python
<iank> Yeah
<iank>   I'm forced
<iank>     To indent
<iank>   My sentences