[TriLUG] Diskless Clients and Security - Followup Questions

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Fri Jul 14 09:34:59 EDT 2006

Roy Vestal wrote:

> After further reading, I have questions on the security of NFS and the
> dhcpd.conf.
>
> NFS:
> I'm thinking of creating a subnet that is ONLY for these diskless
> clients and allowing ONLY this IP range to read my NFS OS share (ro of
> course). Sound right?

Yeah, you're pretty much only going to be able to lock down NFS reliably
(during pxe bootup, at least) by IP address.  Having a dedicated range
for your clients is essentially a must.

> dhcpd.conf:
>
> In dhcpd.conf I want to create a range of IP's, say 192.168.1.10 -
> 192.168.1.50 and I want to tell dhcpd to use these for 50 specific
> MAC's. However, I do not want to reserve a specific IP for a specific
> MAC, I want the MAC to be assigned and IP out of the pool, in this
> example 192.168.1.10 - .50 . How would we go about this?

subnet 192.168.1.10 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
  range dynamic-bootp 192.168.1.10 192.168.1.50;
  allow bootp;
  deny unknown-clients;
}
group {
  host foo {
    hardware ethernet 00:00:00:00:00:00;
  }

That should do the trick.  Repeat foo with appropriate hostname as many
times as desired.

Aaron S. Joyner