[TriLUG] Diskless Clients and Security - Followup Questions

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Fri Jul 14 10:16:31 EDT 2006

On 7/14/06, Roy Vestal <rvestal at trilug.org> wrote:

> In dhcpd.conf I want to create a range of IP's, say 192.168.1.10 -
> 192.168.1.50 and I want to tell dhcpd to use these for 50 specific
> MAC's. However, I do not want to reserve a specific IP for a specific
> MAC, I want the MAC to be assigned and IP out of the pool, in this
> example 192.168.1.10 - .50 . How would we go about this?

That's actually 41, not 50 addresses.

Just curious, do you have more clients than that, or is there some
other reason you don't want to fix their ip addresses?

My philosophy is that, unless you need to overcommit a pool of ip
addresses, it's better to set it up so that clients get a consistent
address.

--
Rick DeNatale

IPMS/USA Region 12 Coordinator