[TriLUG] Diskless Clients and Security - Followup Questions

Roy Vestal rvestal at trilug.org
Fri Jul 14 10:51:35 EDT 2006

I have a over 150 machines at the moment that will in some way have to
be booted diskless. Currently, we are using boot CD's but I want to move
away from the CD's so that the management of the environments is
centralized and the OS projects are consistant. However, not all of
these machines are going to be online at one time so I would like to use
a set of 100 IPs and have them randomly assigned when a machine is
brought online.  Make sense?

This is a development lab and these machines are used mostly for
development and/or testing and are not online for long periods of time
(i.e days/weeks, not necessarily months). We now have 3 different OS/env
scenarios that we use where PXE would let us minimize maintenance and
more closely control the versions of the enviroments used. However we
"share" the network in question (with me being the DHCP/DNS server admin
<evil grin!> ) so we need to be able to secure it from other groups
outside our lab. And we are constantly adding new machines and removing
old machines from dev/testing pool so I want to be able to manage these
simply. Just adding/removing the mac's will be painful enough.

In a nutshell, I need to overcommit my range by almost 100% to an
everchanging pool of machines/mac's.