[TriLUG] ISCSI SAN

Israel J Pattison pattison at usa.com
Sun Jul 23 16:28:52 EDT 2006

Another option I haven't heard mentioned yet is "ATA over Ethernet", or
AoE.  Instead of buying fiber channel switches and interface cards, you use
off-the-shelf 100MB/1GB/10GB ethernet devices.  The cost savings are
substantial.  Unlike iSCSI which is a layer 3 protocol, AoE uses layer 2
networking.
We have an AoE device at my shop, and I use it as a virtual tape library for
our Bacula backup server.  Our device is a Coraid   (http://www.coraid.com)
SATA/RAID 1520.  It is a 4U, rack-mount device with 15 bays for SATA II
drives.  We use 300GB drives, but Coraid has recently added support for
500GB drives and perpendicular 750GB is in the future.  The device runs
linux.

>From the software side, the device lacks the eye-candy of an EMC or NetApp
device.  I use a serial console to connect to and configure the box. Support
for AoE has been in the Linux kernel for quite some time.  Drivers for
Windows are available, and Mac drivers are in development.  You can easily
slap any linux box in front of it to make a NAS-to-SAN gateway and provide
SMB/CIFS/NFS/FTP/HTTP/WebDAV/iFolder/etc. support.

Israel