[TriLUG] OT: dual-layer blank failure rate

Brian Henning brian at strutmasters.com
Mon Jul 31 09:26:21 EDT 2006

Hi Gang,
  Just wondering if anyone else has seen a depressingly high
failure-rate for blank dual-layer DVDs.  For me, it seems like a good
40-50% of my blank discs crap out during burn at the layer switch;
growisofs says ":-( write failed: Input/output error" at 49.6%
completion.  (It's so close to 50% is why I suspect something going
wrong at the layer switch).

Or is it something I'm doing wrong?  Most often I'm burning single-layer
media, either CD or DVD-RW.  Is there something I need to do to tell the
hardware to expect to have to do a layer switch?  I sort of expected the
drive to figure that out on its own.

My growisofs command is thus:
growisofs -Z /dev/dvdrw=dual-layer.ext2

where dual-layer.ext2 is a ext2-formatted 8.0GB loopback file I use as a
staging area for creating backups and such.  When it doesn't crap out at
49.6%, it works fine, so it makes it difficult to figure out if I'm
doing something wrong.

Cheers,
~Brian