[TriLUG] Current best anti-spam: Baraccuda/SpamAssassain/etc.

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Mon Jul 31 21:17:40 EDT 2006

On 7/31/06, Andy Hunt <andy at pragmaticbookshelf.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> What would ya'll suggest as *the* best of all anti-spam solutions,
> including anything from free software, commercial hardware devices,
> and managed solutions.
>
> We've used combinations of SpamAssassain and SpamBayes in the past,
> and are now considering hardware from  Barracuda or a service such as
> Postini.
>
> Any helpful experience/advice would be welcome...

I talked to someone last year who had setup a rule
in procmail that first checked for a special tag in the
mail.  If it was there, it passed the mail onto the rest
of the rules.  If it wasn't there, it added it and then
bounced it to his GMail account.  Over at gmail, he
had a filter that just forwarded e-mail back to his
e-mail address.  Even with forwarding, gmail still
runs e-mail through its spam filter.   The gmail
spam filter is just about the best I've seen.

That works well for one person but not so much
for an entire domain.  For an entire domain, you
could always try Hosted Google Mail, assuming
you don't have too many problems with Google
hosting all of your e-mail.  (I don't, but I understand
there are many people who do.)  It works very
well and is easy to setup and use.  The only
disadvantage I see with it (where the e-mail
is located, notwithstanding) is that it doesn't
support imap access.

Cheers,
Tanner

--