[TriLUG] Current best anti-spam: Baraccuda/SpamAssassain/etc.

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Tue Aug 1 08:14:12 EDT 2006

On 7/31/06, Tanner Lovelace <clubjuggler at gmail.com> wrote:
.
> I talked to someone last year who had setup a rule
> in procmail that first checked for a special tag in the
> mail.  If it was there, it passed the mail onto the rest
> of the rules.  If it wasn't there, it added it and then
> bounced it to his GMail account.  Over at gmail, he
> had a filter that just forwarded e-mail back to his
> e-mail address.  Even with forwarding, gmail still
> runs e-mail through its spam filter.   The gmail
> spam filter is just about the best I've seen.

Neat trick!

I've always been pretty impressed by gmail's spam filtering.  I
suspect that it's partially using social networking in part, so that
when I click on the report as spam, button it modifies the global
filter and perhaps even moves copies of the same e-mail for other
users who haven't seen it yet.

I must say that gmail seems to have gotten a little less efficient
though, it seems to let a few spams slip by every day not. It seems to
have a soft spot for nigerian, and "your e-mail has won the lottery!"
spam.

I also did a quick scan of my accumulated spam on gmail this morning
(1200+ messages), and found 1 false positive.  I think that this is
the first false positive I've seen on gmail, although it was a product
announcement from a company I'm interested in, so I can understand how
it got clogged in the filter.

--
Rick DeNatale

IPMS/USA Region 12 Coordinator