[TriLUG] DSL (Damn Small Linux)

James McDermott jim at purpleelephant.org
Fri Aug 18 15:50:52 EDT 2006

I would like to find a way to run DSL on several old Pentium 1 (PI)
computers.

I downloaded a bootfloppy.img file for DSL and then created a boot
floppy disk. When I run the disk, it seems to load OK to a point and
then it fails with the message:

Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry.
Dropping you to a (very limited) shell.
Press Reset Button To Quit
knoppix#

Is there a DSL boot floppy that will run on these old Pentium 1
computers where all the needed files and folders are already on the
floppy? I created the boot floppy on a computer running the Linux
distribution Edubuntu Version 6.06 LTS.

The Pentium 1 machines that we want to boot into DSL will have no
operating system on the hard drive.

Thanks,  Jim