[TriLUG] Old Mac files: any ideas how to open them?

Andrew Perrin clists at perrin.socsci.unc.edu
Tue Aug 22 22:40:39 EDT 2006

Greetings, folks.

My wife has a folder of old (circa 1991) files created on her Macintosh
Plus during medical school. Neither of us can remember what word processor
she used to write these.

They now reside in a folder on her computer, and we would like to be able
to open them. However, just opening them in emacs, Word, etc., produces
gibberish. I get the following output from file:

aperrin at joehill:/mnt/elianasdocs/OLDMAC$ file 3RDLAB~1
3RDLAB~1: TTComp archive data

Does this ring a bell to anyone? Any ideas where to go with it?

Thanks.

Andrew J Perrin - andrew_perrin (at) unc.edu - http://perrin.socsci.unc.edu
Assistant Professor of Sociology; Book Review Editor, _Social Forces_
University of North Carolina - CB#3210, Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3210 USA
New Book: http://www.press.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/hfs.cgi/00/178592.ctl