[TriLUG] why is it slow?

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Wed Sep 13 02:41:25 EDT 2006

Ian Kilgore wrote:

>On Tue, Sep 12, 2006 at 05:04:21PM -0400, Brian McCullough wrote:
>

>>You are on your LAN, with a private IP, 192.168.123.456,
>>

>Well, there's your problem.
>
>/me runs

Yeah, I'm glad I'm not the only one who was cringing at those .456 and
.789 IP addresses.  :)

So this post isn't entirely useless - my gut instinct is that the
problem is related to the "u-turn" problem as described, but I'm at a
loss to explain precisely the internals of why.  Assuming the NAT
implementation is anything close to *sane* on the embedded router, this
really shouldn't be a problem.  Then again, don't trust the Chinese or
Korean guy who wrote the firmware to have done a sensible job on his
first programming project.  The short version of the solution would be
"don't do that".  Use a Linux firewall, setup split DNS views, and that
way the traffic isn't doing anything foolish, and if it does, it's going
through a sensible iptables implementation that can deal with it.  But
maybe that's just me.  :)

Aaron S. Joyner