[TriLUG] why is it slow?

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Wed Sep 13 02:49:37 EDT 2006

Aaron S. Joyner wrote:

> Ian Kilgore wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Sep 12, 2006 at 05:04:21PM -0400, Brian McCullough wrote:
>>

>>> You are on your LAN, with a private IP, 192.168.123.456,
>>
>> Well, there's your problem.
>>
>> /me runs
>>

> Yeah, I'm glad I'm not the only one who was cringing at those .456 and
> .789 IP addresses.  :)
>
> So this post isn't entirely useless - my gut instinct is that the
> problem is related to the "u-turn" problem as described, but I'm at a
> loss to explain precisely the internals of why.  Assuming the NAT
> implementation is anything close to *sane* on the embedded router,
> this really shouldn't be a problem.  Then again, don't trust the
> Chinese or Korean guy who wrote the firmware to have done a sensible
> job on his first programming project.  The short version of the
> solution would be "don't do that".  Use a Linux firewall, setup split
> DNS views, and that way the traffic isn't doing anything foolish, and
> if it does, it's going through a sensible iptables implementation that
> can deal with it.  But maybe that's just me.  :)
>
> Aaron S. Joyner

Something else just came to mind, it might be worth checking to see if
you have HostnameLookups enabled in Apache.  Depending on how your
reverse DNS and virtualhosts are setup (or not setup) this could provide
the behavior you're seeing.

Aaron S. Joyner

(yeah yeah, replying to myself, bad form, yada yada)