[TriLUG] Detach/Reattach X-windows apps?

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Sun Sep 24 09:14:18 EDT 2006

This is probably expecting too much, but I've been wondering if
there's anything which works like screen, except for X-windows apps.

For example, let's say I was running openoffice on a server through
ssh and X-forwarding, from a client machine.. I'd love to be able to
detach it, then come back later and re-attach from either the same or
a different client, much like you can do with screen.

I'm assuming that this is quite difficult since we're really talking
about saving and restoring state which is really held in the
X-'Server' which is actually on the client rather than the server.

On the other hand, I've been constantly amazed by how clever the open
source community can be. Perhaps I've just not discovered the right
google search yet.

--
Rick