[TriLUG] Detach/Reattach X-windows apps?

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Sun Sep 24 09:45:22 EDT 2006

> This is probably expecting too much, but I've been wondering if
> there's anything which works like screen, except for X-windows apps.
VNC acts almost exactly like screen.  In both cases, you have to
remember to start the server before you run the application that you
want to "detach".  In both cases, they start a new session (shell, X
session).

You may notice that the VNC server acts differently on Linux and
Windows.  On Linux, a brand new X session is created.  On Windows, the
existing desktop is used.  You might also look at "x11vnc", which acts a
lot like the Windows VNC server, "scraping" your existing X session and
allowing you to remotely connect to it.

I use x11vnc to connect to my PC at home when I am at work.  Since it's
using the existing X session, I never have to worry about "setting up"
for remote control before I leave the house.  I don't have to kill and
restart an already-running application, because I can attach to my
already-running X session.

One more thing about x11vnc... you can ssh into a machine that's not
already running x11vnc and start it from the shell.  How's that for
"just working" (or more accurately, not requiring and advance planning)?

Alan

.