[TriLUG] OSS Backup Software - Take 2

James Brigman jbrigman at nc.rr.com
Mon Oct 2 21:58:33 EDT 2006

Suggestion:

1) Implement Bacula - it's an awesome product for the price. :-)
2) Disable Windows user restore in Bacula.
3) Use Windows Volume Snapshots to provide local incremental backups of
each windows machine at whatever frequency you need. These would be
easily restorable by anyone to the local windows machine, and only that
local windows machine.
4) Take weekly "Bacula fulls" and you'll get your machine image,
including all the daily VSP incrementals.
5) Make the local VSP incrementals on the box rotate so you won't ever
have to "purge" and every Bacula backup will get the past
day/week/month/whatever versions of the VSP's.

Reasoning:
- users will always pull data from the VSP incrementals. Users will
never restore a machine from bare metal. (well, maybe they will but I'd
be surprised)
- admins will restore machines from Bacula, so that function will never
be unattended
- every weekly "full system backup" will also capture the week's
"incremental VSP backups"

Thoughts?

JKB