[TriLUG] OSS Backup Software - Take 2

Israel J Pattison pattison at usa.com
Tue Oct 3 07:29:37 EDT 2006

James' strategy sounds like a good one, and it makes a lot of sense.  But
I'm still confused on something:

I guess bacula must just behave very differently on Windows machines than on
Linux machines.  I don't have any Windows clients, so I'm at a disadvantage
(or is it an advantage? hmm).  Is the Windows client somehow combining the
bacula file daemon and the bconsole?

>From the Linux side the bacula-fd doesn't give the local user any ability to
control bacula, it only gives the bacula director access to the file
system.  I would have to also install the bconsole on the local system to
give the end user the ability to schedule a file restore.

Fill me in here.  How is the Windows client different?  Do you still have to
enter both the bacula-fd password *and* the bacula-dir password to get the
Windows client to work?  What would happen if these passwords were different
and you didn't give the end user the password to the bacula-dir?

Thanks, and sorry for the confusion.

Israel