[TriLUG] OSS Backup Software - Take 2

Tim Jowers timjowers at gmail.com
Wed Oct 4 09:32:43 EDT 2006

Two other OSS products to consider are BackupPC and Dirvish though I
cannot yet state which is the best. I liked BackupPC alot from what I
read about it and it is focused on the heterogenous environment.
  The question of doing a full copy is why the backup solutions exist.
E.g. backupPC quotes backing up 30 clients and since it identifies
rendundant files (maintains hard links for security) then instead of
over 100GB it uses less than 10GB. The second and more significant
issue is backup time. This is why rsync and such are so important.
Incremental backups might be the only way to get the backup done
before the workers return in the morning!
   Question.  I think all of these use the "come and get it" or "pull"
variety of backup. How about Bacula????? I am planning a push solution
as my sites use dynamic IP so I will not always know where they are as
their IP can change (and so they have the private key rather than me
having access to their systems:-).

Cheers,
TimJowers