[TriLUG] OT: DNS not following routes

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Wed Oct 11 17:48:26 EDT 2006

On Wed, 11 Oct 2006, Brian Henning wrote:

> Hi Gang,
>  Is it normal for DNS lookups (which are UDP, right?)

yes

the zone transfers (which are bigger than a udp packet) are
tcp.

> I can ping the DNS servers with no trouble; just can't (seem
> to) get an actual query through to them.  i.e. (yes, the client machine is
> windows...  the router and gateway are linux, though!)

> C:\> ping www.yahoo.com
> Ping request could not find host www.yahoo.com. Please check the name and try again.

Just checking.... (I can't imagine you haven't done this
already, but you didn't say you'd done it)

Do you have something sensible in the DNS server box (in the
window where you tell the machine how to get its IP).

Is your firewall stopping DNS requests (can you get name
resolution on another machine on the same network)?

Joe