[TriLUG] Ubuntu: whats all the fuss?

Mike A. Salim msalim at adti.us
Thu Oct 19 23:43:37 EDT 2006

Hi all,

OK I am getting curious about Ubuntu.  I am hearing a lot about it so I
did the usual googling, visiting www.ubunto.com <http://www.ubunto.com/>
etc. to see why this is a "better linux".  I was expecting to find lots
of sites giving examples and arguments about why this is the greatest
thing since sliced bread.  So far, I found nada (of substance).  All I
can tell is that Ubuntu is (maybe!) better for those wishing to run
Linux workstations for their computer un-savvy spouses.  Is that it ??!!

Can someone point me to some specific advantages of Ubuntu over any
other distro, Debian or not?  How is it better than regular Debian
(cosmetics and catchy name aside).  Why would I choose Ubuntu over
Centos?  Or Vista for that matter (gasp!)  I just want to understand
what the fuss is all about in a broad minded fashion.

Best regards

Mike Salim