[TriLUG] Ubuntu: whats all the fuss?

Marc linuxr at gmail.com
Fri Oct 20 00:14:21 EDT 2006

Well,

<this is just from my personal experience mind you>

1.  Die-hard Debian-heads that I know will point out that Debian, since it
tends to be a little less bleeding edge, is therefore much more stable and
easier to deal with regarding issues like running it on strange hardware,
getting it to recognize new hardware, etc. I tend to equate Debian with
other deb-based distros, and Ubuntu is included.  That is just the way that
I think, but it comes with some justification since I have really liked
Knoppix and Helix and have worked wonders with them with zero problems.

2.  In my opinion, which was recently formed after a few 'last straw'
incidents involving RH software -- there are distinct advantages in having
some NON RH software around.   I am fed up with Fedora's quirks and I want
something that is, in order, a) secure, b) stable, c) user friendly.  This
goes for 'enterprise' RH as well as the Fedoras since they are close kin.

3.  I realize, like  you are saying,  the argument is 'prove it'  - show me
the money that Ubuntu is  'better'.  I don't  know, all I can say is that I
haven't heard anything at all negative about it, and I hear a lot negative
about Fedora, lots of weird quirky stuff, and I am not happy with RH as a
company these days, not 'feeling the love' (LOL), and not willing to have
them 'track' me in FC6.

4.  A GREAT comparison might be SuSE vs. Ubuntu vs. Gentoo - pros and
cons.   I am not quite ready to build my own distro from scratch so I am
probably not a good candidate for Gentoo.

Just one man's ramblings

Marc