[TriLUG] OT: WRT54G bridging

Owen Berry oberry at trilug.org
Mon Nov 6 11:54:01 EST 2006

Brian,

I know you mentioned that you wanted copper but some of this might
help, or in case you end up going wireless. I have a 54GL running the
default Linksys firmware as my main router out to the rest of the world,
and a 54GL running OpenWRT bridged over wireless. It's using WPA2-PSK
TKIP.

This was my main source of inspiration:

http://wiki.openwrt.org/WirelessBridgeWithWPAHowto

I think the only change I made to the scripts provided was to remove the
wait for DHCP on the wireless side since I set it up to use a static IP.
To get the static IP working I needed to modify /etc/functions.sh in
order to specify the interface for the default gateway, otherwise it was
ending up being bound to the LAN side of things instead of the wirless,
which resulted in a black hole.

I also had to modify /etc/init.d/parprouted to get it working as it
didn't do a good job of setting options - just a silly bug from what I
can tell.

The author mentions having problems with the bridging and ended up
turning it into a router between two subnets. So far I haven't seen any
problems, but I also haven't used the connection heavily or looked at
how good the bandwidth is. I don't think it would be a big issue
changing it to a router though, and might do so if I have the time and
inclination since it seems simpler and you don't have to depend on
parprouted.

Owen