[TriLUG] Installing an ndiswrapper driver where a native one exists already?

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Tue Nov 7 17:15:08 EST 2006

Hi all,

I've almost done everything. Configured my Linksys WRT56GL access point.
Configured my Linksys WUSB54G version 4 wireless access point on Mandriva
2006, using ndiswrapper and the Windows driver. Wrote a script to reliably
interface the WUSB54G with WEP. Enabled WPA (WPA personal) using
wpa_supplicant. I even got the WUSB54G working on Mandriva 2007's native
rt2500 driver (creates device rausb0).

I have one thing left. The native driver is junk, regularly freezing the
computer. So I tried to to install the ndiswrapper, exactly like i did on
Mandriva 2006, but it didn't work. I theorize it's because rausb0 remained
installed. Indeed, even after I commented out rausb0/rt2500 out
of /etc/modules.conf and /etc/iftab. In fact, when I installed the
ndiswrapper version and did ifup wlan0, it reported that rausb0 was going up.

Does anyone know how to install the ndiswrapper version on a machine already
having the native (I'm willing to delete the native). Once again, in this
case, the ndiswrapper version is MUCH more stable than the native version.

Thanks

SteveT

Steve Litt
Author:
   * Universal Troubleshooting Process courseware
   * Troubleshooting Techniques of the Successful Technologist
   * Manager's Guide to Technical Troubleshooting
   * Twenty Eight Tales of Troubleshooting
   * Rapid Learning: Secret Weapon of the Successful Technologist

http://www.troubleshooters.com/bookstore
http://www.troubleshooters.com/utp/tcourses.htm