[TriLUG] Asterisk for the office

jonc at nc.rr.com jonc at nc.rr.com
Thu Nov 9 18:19:35 EST 2006

Brian,

Asterisk is definitely enterprise ready but you have identified some of
the weak points below. Still, if you have a fairly static phone config
and just need basic phone apps, then Asterisk is easily do-able for the
average office.

Paging is best done using an analog speaker system - which looks to
Asterisk like a simple Analog phone line. Other than that, you can use
the intercom feature available with Cisco 7940 or 7960 phones and just
setup a "conferencing" group that uses the intercom feature on all your
phones. It won't work perfectly, but it will work.

If you think you need 24 lines then a PRI is the way to go. You'll get
CallerID and the cost is much cheaper for the setup and maintenance.

If you go with POE switches, that will be more expensive than buying
power bricks for each phone, but you will get some nice honking Cisco
switching power that will vlan out your Voice traffic from your Data.
The cheaper solution is to get a Cisco 2924 XL-EN (that "EN" part is
*very* important) and bunch of power bricks. It cost would be about half
of that of going with a Cisco 3524-PWR

The advantages of VoIP are tremendous, and installation is about half
the cost of a traditional service, but... it still ain't cheap.

If you guys want an interrum solution (hosted VoIP), then look us up. We
would be happy to help you take you guys off your old PBX and move you
over to the world of VoIP. And if you need any Asterisk help, let me know.

BTW: I've gotten several Kick-butt Asterisk servers from Cerient (Jason
Tower). The costs have all been around $2k (plus the Digium hardware),
and they would work great as and Enterprise Asterisk server for an
office of your size or larger.

Jon Carnes