[TriLUG] Linux Core 2 Duo problems (Update)

Charles Fischer fischer at 4pi.com
Sun Nov 12 13:41:39 EST 2006

I now have a working Intel Core 2 Duo system running Fedora Core 6 Linux.

By working I mean I have downloaded and installed updates, wxWidgets
(compiled and ran the Penguin OpenGL demo) and am now listening to a
Dar Williams CD.  The display is set to 1280x1024 (this was a problem
with Core 6 RC2).

I have been unable to get the IDE CD/DVD burner to work.  It works
under some other OS, but Linux just does not see it.  I have tried
every BIOS setting I could find, but to no avail.

So here is the hardware:
Intel DG965WH motherboard with 2GB of memory and a 2.13GHz Intel Core
2 Duo CPU (6400).
ATI X800 display card (Gigabyte GV-RX08256D, PCI Express).
Samsung SyncMaster 192N LCD display.
320GB SATA2 Hard drive (Seagate ST3320620).
Generic keyboard and mouse.
Mad Dog External DVD/CD burner (USB and IEEE-1394).
Internal DVD/CD burner (NEC DVD_RW ND-3).

The BIOS is the latest I could find on the Intel web site
(MQ1545P).  The drive configuration for SATA is to "Configure SATA as
<AHCI>".  I tried every combination to get the DVD to maybe work.

After trying to use the internal DVD for the install many times, I
gave up.  I set the BIOS to <AHCI> and booted from the external DVD
(connected via USB) and did the install.  The install worked normally.

I am posting this because several people e-mailed me off list asking
if I ever got it working.  Well I finally did.

I do not recommend the Mad Dog DVD.  I have returned one, and the
replacement is missing two screws.

Good luck to all Core 2 Duo owners.

Thanks for all the suggestions,
Charles Fischer