[TriLUG] Availability of bzip2 in 20 years?

Glenn Hennessee Glenn_Hennessee at ncsu.edu
Mon Nov 27 14:26:42 EST 2006

This article,
http://computerworld.com/hardwaretopics/storage/story/0,10801,107607,00.html
says a lifespan of 2-5 years for cds you burn yourself. Another article
I read another article that claimed 18 months or less even under good
storage conditions. The higher quality, i.e. higher price, blanks lasted
longer than the cheaper discs. Of course there are people who say that
they can read discs they burned many years ago and that is likely to be
the case. I'm sure this operates on the standard bell curve of
probability like pretty much everything else. Maybe Consumer Reports
will test them someday ;)  If it's vital the data be kept then making
multiple copies, storing them in the dark in a temperature controlled
room, and recopying them yearly would seem to be the safest bet.

glenn