[TriLUG] Spamassassin+Postfix on a per-domain basis?

Jason Tower jason at cerient.net
Fri Dec 1 13:36:07 EST 2006

Jason Faulkner wrote:
> On 12/1/06, Jason Tower <jason at cerient.net> wrote:
>> rather than trying to manipulate postfix in strange and unusual ways,
>> might
>> it be easier to tell SA which domains to whitelist (or !whitelist)?
>>

> My fear with that is that the mail for the other domains will still be
> sent through SA. I don't know how that's going to affect server load
> on a server that's already quite taxed. Do you know if whitelisting
> through SA will prevent it from even scanning the email?

SA will probably process them to some extent but if they're whitelisted
they'll pass thru with minimal overhead.  i don't recall if the headers of
whitelisted messages are modified or not, if so then disk i/o could be a
bottleneck.  but you could always make a small ramdisk just for spamd to use
for its cache and temp files.

don't forget that you can always run SA on a separate machine since it's a
client/server app.  spamd listens on tcp 783, you just need to set it to
listen on all interfaces and not just 127.0.0.1.