[TriLUG] Setting Up RAID-5

David Brain dbrain at gmail.com
Fri Dec 8 15:51:58 EST 2006

On 12/8/06, Ben Pitzer <bpitzer at gmail.com> wrote:

> Frankly, I'm very intrigued by OpenFiler for home use, but I have not had
> the opportunity to play with it at all.  iSCSI can run entirely in software,
> and only puts a big hit on if you take advantage of the security features
> (which can put a VERY big hit on the CPU).  The MS iSCSI initiator is free,
> and while I haven't dug around, I'm pretty sure you could find a free Linux
> initiator out there as well, though I would be very cautious as to how good
> it would be.

OpenFiler looks interesting, I'd not heard of that before - ATAOE is
even lighter than ISCSI, and has the equivalent of an initiator
already available in the kernel, and is very simple to set up on the
server side and no configuration is needed on the client (other than
to point the the new /dev/etherd/* devices).  I think the MS
implementation is a commercial product though.

I believe there are a number of initiators for Linux - two were
initially from Intel & Cisco - should be fairly stable by now.  I know
the big SAN vendors (NetApp & EMC) support linux iSCSI.

David.