[TriLUG] Christmas card automation

Magnus magnus at trilug.org
Sun Dec 10 13:12:55 EST 2006

Jim Tuttle wrote:
> How do you all deal with this?

I've always thought Christmas cards were a waste so I deal with it by
not sending them :)

But if I were to send them, I'd probably have names/addresses in a
postgresql or mysql database, and a short php or perl script to crank
out the letters and mailing labels.  Instead of wasting paper, though, I
would probably send holiday greetings via email which is probably a
slightly easier programming task.

If you want to get fancy you can work up a .pdf template and plug in the
proper variables to have very custom looking greeting cards.  Both
languages can do this.

Personally I wouldn't use OO.o for something like this.  In fact I
rarely find I need something like OO.o at all.