[TriLUG] print queues work locally, but not over the network

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Mon Dec 11 10:30:02 EST 2006

More info on my CUPS problem. The original symptom description is at the
bottom of this email. I found out where the print job is getting "stuck" on
the client, whose hostname is rena. The computer physically connected to the
printer is at 192.168.100.2 and is called mydesk. Here it is:

[root at rena ~]# ps ax | grep cups
 6552 ?        Ss     0:01 cupsd
11692 pts/2    S+     0:00 grep cups
[root at rena ~]# lpr -P lp_dark test.txt
[root at rena ~]# ps ax | grep cups
 6552 ?        Ss     0:01 cupsd
11695 ?        S      0:00 ipp://192.168.100.2:631/printers/lp_dark 11 root
test.txt 1 job-sheets=none,none job-priority=50
job-hold-until=no-hold /var/spool/cups/d00011-001
11697 pts/2    R+     0:00 grep cups
[root at rena ~]# cat /var/spool/cups/d00011-001
steve was here
and now is gone
but left his name
to carry on.
[root at rena ~]#

In the preceding, the text of /var/spool/cups/d00011-001 exactly matches
test.txt -- it's exactly what I printed.

To me, the command ipp://192.168.100.2:631/printers/lp_dark looks malformed --
not an executable. The spool file gets stuck as /var/spool/cups/d00011-001.
Restarting cups on rena (the client) blows off the job and the spool file.

So basically, I've found where the print job gets stuck (never gets off the
client computer) but I don't know enough about CUPS to interpret that or
figure out the next diagnostic test.

Thanks

SteveT