[TriLUG] openvms help

Kevin Flanagan kevin at flanagannc.net
Thu Dec 14 07:08:47 EST 2006

Aaron,

    No need to fear OpenVMS, just because it's superior to all.  In all
respects but one, user base.  I once was having a conversation with THE
guy, Ken Olsen, a couple of years after his being forced out of DEC,
where he lamented the lack of acceptance of VMS in the market.  He said
that if they had brought VMS to the X86 platform it would be where
Windows was. I guess that it could be where BSD is today, perhaps better
if they had set it free.

    I remember a few years back when HP announced the eventual demise of
OpenVMS, a business owner in South Africa was pretty upset, he hadn't
rebooted his large VAX in 6 years, it ran the whole business.

    Usually stability has as much to do with how you manage a system as
anything else.  The most effective things that I have done to production
systems to achieve stability was to take away rights to change things
from almost everyone.

Wishes don't make it so, and we have what we have.

Kevin