[TriLUG] Adding SCSI Drive Snuffs GRUB

Owen Berry oberry at trilug.org
Wed Dec 20 10:30:41 EST 2006

On Tue, Dec 19, 2006 at 06:37:34PM -0500, Scott Chilcote wrote:
> The only clue I have for why the boot fails is that there is something
> called the BIOS Device Enumeration Order, and this is not something that
> can be modified using the BIOS configuration.  Apparently this affects
> GRUB at a fundamental level - but I'm having a hard time confirming it
> if so.  I culled this from some postings to forum discussions.

I don't know if this is the same thing, but I once had a problem with
the BIOS getting confused after I had added and removed drives and
cdroms and switched them around etc. I could also boot from a livecd and
see that everything was as expected, but it didn't work that way for
booting. After a few days of frustration and confusion, resetting the
BIOS settings and rebooting fixed it.

Don't forget to note any BIOS changes you want to keep before doing
this.

Owen