[TriLUG] ECPI opinions?

Kevin Gamiel kgamiel at renci.org
Tue Jan 23 22:48:31 EST 2007

Carl Schaefer wrote:
> I'd appreciate hearing any opinions of ECPI (a private technical college
> with a campus in Raleigh), their training programs and/or the graduates,
> especially compared with public community colleges like Wake Tech.

I can't speak to ECPI, but wanted to share some related thoughts.  There
is no formula that works for everyone, of course, so I would challenge
any simplistic dismissal of any particular track.  I attended Wake Tech
way back in 1986 and received a computer engineering technology degree.
  I later attended Carolina and dropped out of the CS program.  I have
been fortunate over the last 20 years to have had great jobs doing
interesting work in research programming, robotics, and now some
management.  My experience at Wake Tech was outstanding.  For me,
learning applied electronics, applied mathematics and digital logic,
through building computers from discrete components in the lab, writing
code in hex, etc, gave me a solid understanding of the machine.  At this
point in my career, I highly value that foundation and have a hard time
believing I could have been as successful as I've been without it.  It
would be foolish of me to project that to others, though, it's all a bit
of trial-n-error.

In the final analysis, though, I would say the reason things have worked
out for me has less to do with any particular school, but with the
countless hours I spent doing something I was passionate about.  Of
course, if one's passion is making farting noises with his armpit, he
may need to use a log scale to measure relative success;-)

Kevin

--
Renaissance Computing Institute (RENCI)
http://www.renci.org