[TriLUG] Another seal broken... thinking of installing a C/R anti-spam system

Daniel Sterling dan at lost-habit.com
Sat Jan 27 19:59:06 EST 2007

Cristobal Palmer wrote:
> ... I was under the impression that many (if not most) pump-and-dump
> spam programs ignored RFCs to the point that they didn't wait for any
> replies whatsoever, so this OpenBSD system would have no effect on
> those programs. Am I wrong?
Yes, I think:

The spammers don't often implement their own TCP/IP stacks, and
therefore if their code doesn't check that it's taking an inordinately
long time to write anything to the TCP socket, they'll be stuck.

Wasn't there an article on slashdot a while back where a company had
created a similar throttling system using asynchronous perl? I believe
they claimed it worked well at stopping spam.

However, if technique this isn't wide-spread, which it's not, spammers
can effectively ignore it.

-- Dan