[TriLUG] *NIX on Itanium

mike shlitz mshlitz at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 30 19:07:25 EST 2007

Hi Andy,

This was apparently the initial implementation of
IA64.  (In either 733 or 800 MHz).  Not sure which I
have, because I am still waiting for the previous
owner to find the power cords.  (My 590/64 is white
and all photos I have seen of them are black trim.)
>From what I gather, the "not-so-good" reputation came
from the fact that standard Intel offerings began to
pass it performance-wise, prior to them making
improvements.

Thanks for the references!  As of right now, my mail
is running about 50/50 Debian-vs-CentOS.  At this
point, I will probably try both and see what each
offers in terms of install and run capabilities.

I'm in no real rush to get it online, (other than
wanting to have a gp server here at the house to
replace my Dell PE 2300 that decided not to boot up
anymore.)

I'll run through both and if either/both are
successful, it may make for an interesting topic for a
future LUG meeting.

"...suggests that it takes PC100 ECC memory, which is
probably available pretty cheaply on ebay."

Ahh...and even cheaper inside my old PE 2300 which is
collecting dust!

Thanks again!

Mike

--- Andrew Perrin <clists at perrin.socsci.unc.edu>