[TriLUG] Laptop hard drive showdown: Hitachi vs Western Digital

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 12:01:46 EST 2007

I am in the market for a new hard drive for my laptop.  The two contenders
seem to be

*  HITACHI Travelstar 5K160 160GB SATA 5400rpm[1]
*   Western Digital Scorpio 160GB SATA 5400rpm[2]

The specs on both drives are essentially the same.  They also both
appear to have a 3 year warranty (although, I did see something on
the WD site that seemed to indicate that the WD might have a 1 year
warranty).

So, since they're both mostly the same, I'd like to hear if people
have experience between Hitachi and Western Digital.  In other
words, which one do you think will be more reliable?  Which one
would you buy?

Thanks in advance,
Tanner

[1] http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822145113