[TriLUG] Laptop hard drive showdown: Hitachi vs Western Digital

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Mon Feb 12 13:06:24 EST 2007

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 12:01:46 -0500 "Tanner Lovelace"
<clubjuggler at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am in the market for a new hard drive for my laptop.  The two
> contenders seem to be
>
> *  HITACHI Travelstar 5K160 160GB SATA 5400rpm[1]
> *   Western Digital Scorpio 160GB SATA 5400rpm[2]
>
> So, since they're both mostly the same, I'd like to hear if people
> have experience between Hitachi and Western Digital.  In other
> words, which one do you think will be more reliable?  Which one
> would you buy?

Hi Tanner,

Have you run any benchmarks comparing the 5400 and 7200 rpm notebook
disks?  I have and the 5400's are dramatically slower.  So my answer
would be "neither".  I'd get a 100GB 7200rpm disk from either Hitachi
or Seagate -- both of which have been quite reliable on the dozen-plus
machines that my friends and cow-orkers use which have those drives.

But that's just my opinion.  Perhaps you have a really pressing need
for the additional 60GB...?

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD  |  ed at eh3.com  |  http://eh3.com/