[TriLUG] suse linux limits

Magnus magnus at trilug.org
Sat Feb 17 07:08:52 EST 2007

Jason Watts wrote:
> thats true, ... im talking in current times not 5 years from now...
>
> at this point in time, who really needs 8 exabytes of storage (cept overly
> huge data farms) let alone a few terabytes

I have a single server at work that requires more than a few TB of
storage for its filesystem, and will be getting a couple more TB of
storage this year.  It's "just" an ftp server.  But I need every bit of
disk that it is using.

I'm pretty sure I don't have the biggest server here.

Then there was the 32 processor (IBM POWER5+) Gentoo box with 128GB of
RAM...

These limits may seem to be over the top for a home machine but resource
limits have been a real pain in the butt for us server admins from time
to time.

ext3 has some very real limitations that haunt system administrators
today.  Maximum filesize can be an issue but the one that has made me do
some workarounds in the past is the maximum volume size.  ext4 will be a
welcome improvement as it promises to greatly extend these limitations.