[TriLUG] suse linux limits

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Sun Feb 18 01:13:37 EST 2007

On 2/17/07, Magnus <magnus at trilug.org> wrote:
> ext3 has some very real limitations that haunt system administrators
> today.  Maximum filesize can be an issue but the one that has made me do
> some workarounds in the past is the maximum volume size.  ext4 will be a
> welcome improvement as it promises to greatly extend these limitations.

Out of curiosity, why are you using ext3 for a system like that when you
admit it has serious limitations?  Why not a filesystem like XFS who's
maximum file systems size is 8 exabytes[1] (16 terrabytes on 32 bit linux
systems because of os limitations).

Cheers,
Tanner

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XFS#Capacity