[TriLUG] installing python modules

Tom Bryan tbryan at python.net
Mon Mar 19 20:26:56 EDT 2007

Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:

> ah, no I didn't. I couldn't find anything that would parse --prefix
> anywhere in the code (I grep'ed all over the place for "prefix").

Yeah.  That's part of Python's standard "distutils" which helps users
install new modules.  You may want to read
Installing Python Modules (information for installers & sys-admins)
http://www.python.org/doc/2.4.3/inst/inst.html

Python folks have long been trying to make it easier to find and install
new Python applications and libraries.  distutils helps to ensure that
the library is installed in a place where the Python installation used
to run the install script can find it.  That's *really* critical on
systems with multiple versions of Python installed.  Most third party
libraries ship with a distutils-based setup.py.  If you're dealing with
actual Python applications instead of libraries, you may start seeing
more people using Python Eggs (
http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/PythonEggs ), which still uses
distutils to accomplish some of its work.

Anyway, if you'd like to discuss any of this at length with other Python
folks in the area, feel free to join/post to the TriZPUG's mailing list.

---Tom