[TriLUG] Speeding up the boot process of a Linux box

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Mon Mar 26 10:05:31 EDT 2007

> These articles always make me wonder why people are rebooting so often?

I don't think it's matter of rebooting OFTEN.  It's more about how Linux
"feels".  If it feels dog-slow, then it gives people a very bad impression.

When I worked on a home appliance [1] that runs embedded Linux, I put a
fair amount of attention into the time it took to boot, and what is
displayed on the screen during the boot process.  We did not want the
thing to look like a PC -- it should look like an appliance.  In the
end, my boot times ended up being about 75 seconds... too long in my
opinion (I thought that 8 seconds to boot my Ericsson cell phone was too
long).  But the appliance was usually left powered on, and management
found 75 seconds to be acceptable.

Alan

[1] http://www.tmio.com

.