[TriLUG] Speeding up the boot process of a Linux box

Tim Jowers timjowers at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 10:20:00 EDT 2007

Hey Alan,

What are some of the things you did?  I skimmed the article but did not see
removing the initrd or some other low-hanging fruit (non-compressed kernel,
customize the drivers to the HW, no HW detect, ...).  I believe the Linux
BIOS is the end game. As long as we have a jump from the old-school BIOS
then we are still wasting time in the boot process. I mean, how many
computers actually change from boot to boot? Ought to be a special button to
run the old BIOS and HW detect etc. Otherwise, boot with same settings as
last time.

Tim
P.S> Believe it or not, I saw something like that product on TV and geared
toward strict Jewish and other people who did not want to work on Sabbath.
It wasn't an Oven but some other thing so the food would be pre-prepared.